Engage. Your Community

(Solved, sort of) Korora 25 XFCE: No ethernet and no wireless after update?

Fujitsu Lifebook E Series. The controllers are Intel, on board.

Everything was working fine until recently. Now I cannot connect to the internet, neither via wireless nor ethernet. I suppose the problem is due to a kernel update, but I can't be sure. All other OS's work fine on this laptop.

I can reach the router and log in, but there is no need to try changing the router settings, because the other OS's (Linux and Windows) all work fine.

I have tried booting in to the three available kernels "4.10.14-200", "4.10.13-200", and "4.10.12-200". None of them work, so I cannot download and/or install anything.

Is there anything else that I should try?

If you can reach the router then the network connections are working. There are a number of things that can cause this. It suggests that there is a setting either on the computer or in the router that are blocking access. Are the other OS that work on the same machine or on other machines.

Is there any sort of mac filtering set up on the router? This would only be the case if there are multiple machines. Otherwise maybe dns settings have been changed.

Hi ozjd, thanks for the reply. There are two laptops and two desktop computers. All have multiple OS's, including the one laptop that cannot connect. I haven't changed anything on the router since about one year, and Korora 25 did work until recently. One of the desktop PC's also has Korora 25, and it can indeed connect.

So the system with the problem can connect to the router but not the internet. If that is the case then the wifi and Ethernet are working. The problem must be somewhere else such as dns. Can you compare the settings on the working system with the one that doesn't work?

OK, I checked both systems using "Connection Information", and both DNS settings (Primary DNS, Secondary DNS) are the same. The only differences between the two are Hardware Address, IP Addresses, Drivers, and Speed. The working system is using driver rtl8187, and the non-working system is using iwlwifi. The speed is also quite different: the working system says 54 Mb/s, while the non-working system says 1 Mb/s.

In the meantime I've made a couple of tests. I disabled the wireless in BIOS, and tried two different USB wireless adapters with Korora. Neither of them worked with Korora, but they work with the other OS's on this laptop. One adapter uses driver rt73usb, and one uses rtl8187. So it doesn't seem to be a wireless driver issue.

theber wrote:
In the meantime I've made a couple of tests. I disabled the wireless in BIOS, and tried two different USB wireless adapters with Korora. Neither of them worked with Korora, but they work with the other OS's on this laptop. One adapter uses driver rt73usb, and one uses rtl8187. So it doesn't seem to be a wireless driver issue.

Both those would require extra drivers. I don't believe either drives are included by default.

Which wifi card does this machine have?

Intel Corporation Centrino Advanced-N 6205 [Taylor Peak]

The only thing I can find is that there was an update to the firmware about a month ago. You could try downgrading to the previous firmware. sudo dnf downgrade iwl6000g2a-firmware. Restart the machine and test.

It appears that I need to be connected to the internet to perform this downgrade: [06:59 theber ~]$ sudo dnf downgrade iwl6000g2a-firmware Error: Failed to synchronize cache for repo 'updates' [06:59 theber ~]$

theber wrote:
It appears that I need to be connected to the internet to perform this downgrade:
[06:59 theber ~]$ sudo dnf downgrade iwl6000g2a-firmware
Error: Failed to synchronize cache for repo 'updates'
[06:59 theber ~]$

Yes, sorry. You will need to download it on another machine and move it over to this machine. You can get it form a number of places like here.

I'm not sure if the downgrade command will work on a local file (I've never tried it) but you can try it by running that command in the directory where you copy the rpm. Alternatively remove the existing package and then install the downloaded one by running sudo dnf install path.to-downloaded.rpm

OK, I tried all this, but still got an error "failed to synchronize...". But then, I can't connect via ethernet either, so it's not a wireless driver problem. Many thanks for your time and help. Maybe I'll just reinstall from scratch and try again.

UPDATE: after re-installing from scratch, everything is working again. Kernel 4.8 was active immediately after installing, and kernel 4.11 is now active following the large update. Both kernels worked with wireless and with Ethernet.

It seems odd just the same that after kernel 4.10.14 was installed, then both previous kernels stopped working.

Still I appreciate your help, ozjd, thanks very much.

theber wrote:
UPDATE: after re-installing from scratch, everything is working again. Kernel 4.8 was active immediately after installing, and kernel 4.11 is now active following the large update. Both kernels worked with wireless and with Ethernet.

It seems odd just the same that after kernel 4.10.14 was installed, then both previous kernels stopped working.

Still I appreciate your help, ozjd, thanks very much.

Interesting. Pleased you have a working system.

You might like to consider increasing the number of kernels that are retained as protection against any future regression. See here and scroll down to the section on kernels.

Please Log In to participate with the community.